Thursday, August 11, 2005

The Fresh Prince

The Fresh Prince
15th October 2001

It’s been a long time since I’ve written. Not surprisingly – there have been a lot of changes in my life.

I arrived in Bombay as planned on 18th September. The next day, I went to see my eye surgeon BB. After a quick once-over, he announced that my dandruff had caused an inflammation of my eyelids, hence surgery was impossible.

I was too stunned to react. However, BB put me on some treatment. This involved shampooing my eyelids and using another absolutely foul-smelling sulphide concoction for my hair.

I returned to his clinic on 24th September. He immediately informed me that the infection had subsided. On 25th September I went in for surgery.

The operation itself was a 25-minute affair. Painless. The only discomfort I felt was when he clamped my eyelids open. It took only a day or two for my eyesight to return to near perfect.

The surgery also completed Phase 1 of the image-makeover exercises described in Image Ready.
Before all that, however, I’d caught up with most of the gang. Dated my sweetheart and had a ball. Met up with my best friend and talked for some time. This was further repeated one day when I was low. There had been some friction between my Mom and Amma. I desperately needed to let it out.

My problems with my best friend are basically gone. Except for the fact that I’m always treated as a secondary when we go out in a large group. It’s not something I like. She’s recently celebrated her birthday and things were the same. She hasn’t even seen the e-cards I’ve sent her.

I take comfort, however, in the fact that she turns to me for comfort.

Now let me enumerate upon the reactions to my new look.

My best friend thinks I look better. As do Ads, Groper, Mallu, Bunny, Srimati and Shivvy Dee. Also the rest of the SIMC gang. As I found out when I returned to Pune for my presentation and exam.

It’s great to see the class so bonded together after the Panchgani trip. I’ve had no problems with anyone – Smelly apart – and fitted right in. I was pleasantly surprised when Lispy ran up and gave me a big hug in way of greeting. A procedure repeated by so many others.

The week was great fun. The amount of keedas we did had to be seen to be believed.

Smelly had no reaction for me. Just a cordial, "Hi," a few questions and that was all. Her best friend Slutmuffin was more exuberant. She and I have always gotten along well and it was nice to see her again.

The last day was spent in an orgy of farewell hugs. Srimati stayed with me all day. She and I have become very close. Groper saw us off at the station – her train was later that night. She was behaving straight out of a Hindi film. Running on the platform, walking along with the moving train, big hugs, tears, the works. Very funny and great fun.

I am home now and have begun my internship. However, I have yet to meet Legs. Our plans were scrapped because she suddenly fell ill. She’s always felt that I look better without my glasses. Maybe now she will lose all control and fall in love with me.

You see, I’m still in love with her. As I’ve found out in the last few weeks.

My sweetheart, however, looked rather disdainfully at me at my best friend’s bash. She’s openly told me she preferred my spectacles. I guess that’s the final nail in the coffin of our relationship. It’s all over. Time for me to jump off a water tower?

Nah. I don’t think so. I’ll let myself believe that she’s saying that so that she can restrain herself from kissing me when we’re together in public. Secretly she finds me irresistible.

Work has begun on Footprints. The Director hosted us for dinner at New York, New York last week when he came down to Bombay. Probably chose that place in memory of that once beautiful city.

Life goes on. The magazine is out and looks good. Despite all the efforts of our printer and ex-Chairperson to destroy it. Ha. We – I – have the last laugh.

I’m looking different and new. I’m behaving differently – I’ve cut down on my flirting. The ploy is to wait for the gals to fall for me without much encouragement.

At this rate I’ll be a bachelor for life.

Postscript. My best friend has now clearly admitted to me what I’ve seen coming for the last two months. She and DJ are in love. I’m glad to say that it doesn’t bother me at all – I’m happy for the two of them, our 5-year pact notwithstanding. It’s just starting off for them, though, and anything could happen. My only fear is that she will have no time for me when I need her. What will happen? Only time can tell.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails