Saturday, September 10, 2005

Sojourn In Sepang

Sojourn In Sepang
26th March 2005


A few days ago, I returned from my first international trip in some seven years. I’d gone to watch the Formula One Malaysian Grand Prix at Sepang.

The trip – as I’ve mentioned before – almost didn’t happen. After Amma’s passing, I’d planned to cancel. But after some family friends spoke to my folks, they changed their minds. It’s what Amma would have wanted, they said. So off I went. With a few restrictions – no non-vegetarian food, no booze, no smoking (I don’t anyway) and no sex (I’m not getting any anyway).

Had a long chat with Minty and Groper before I left. Both of them felt that this trip was what I’ve needed for a long while. That it’d help me leave behind the stresses of last year. Especially since I was going alone.

The flights were no problem. Absolutely light. So I boarded AI-444 on 17th March (after another chat at the airport with Minty, who told me not to think too much), and was on my way.

I used to keep diaries of my trips – but on this tour, it was impossible. I just didn’t feel like writing. Wrote two entries – one of which was on the outbound flight. Then I gave up.

My mind was a blur of images. I kept flitting from memory to memory – SIMC, Sweetie, Amma – everything. The good part was that I didn’t focus too much on anything, and thus didn’t upset myself before my vacation had begun.

Landed at Kuala Lumpur International Airport some twenty minutes ahead of schedule, 0515 local time. The airport rocks – an intricate mesh of glass and steel that looks like something out of the future. An impression that was further reinforced by the sophisticated aerotrain that shuttled us to the main building.

At the baggage conveyor, I met two sisters who were on my flight, and part of the tour group. I’ll call them Badi and Chhoti. Typical Gujarati girls, but good fun. They were to form part of my group over the next couple of days. And, small world, they know a few family friends of ours.

We met the tour operator and, after a lengthy delay, were ferried to Hotel Crown Princess. A late check-in time meant that only a few rooms were available. My roomie – a 24-year old Bangalorean – hadn’t yet arrived. So I was joined by an Tatya, a middle-aged Maharashtrian businessman.

After a quick shower, Tatya and I headed out in search of food. Landed up at Pizza Hut – which was to become my major source of calories during the trip. After eating, I was all set to take off shopping. Tatya declined, disappeared somewhere. I set off on my own.

First stop was Music By Design, a high-end audio shop located at City Square, adjoining the hotel. Picked up a pair of Grado SR-60 headphones for Dad. Then went off to roam around Bukit Bintang in search of clothes for Mom and Sis. A futile task, as I realised. Clothes are cheaper and better at home. Told my folks, they told me to forget it, and go enjoy myself.

After spending a few hours in that area, I returned to my hotel room. To find a note from my roommate, Tron. Apparently he’d come by when I was out, told me he hoped to catch me in the evening. Ten minutes later, he arrived.

He’s a 24-year old programmer in Bangalore, a few months younger than me. We spent some time in the room, making sure we were both Ferrari fans, a big relief. Got along famously. Then we took off for Chinatown. Only this time, we took public transport – the Metro. Again, a technological marvel.

We picked up some Ferrari caps at Chinatown. Then took the Metro and the Monorail to reach Bukit Bintang, where Tron had not yet been. There, to our delightful surprise, we found a Ferrari roadshow in progress. Snapped photos of Michael Schumacher’s car, and I picked up an authentic Ferrari flag.

As I found out later that night, Malaysians have no concept of vegetarian food, even at a McDonald’s. So dinner for me was fries and a chocolate milkshake.

The next morning, we were up early to head out for the qualifying. Not surprisingly, the bus to Sepang was delayed. Once we reached there, we split. All of us were in separate stands – I hadn’t upgraded my race tickets. So I sat down at the Hill Stand.

What strikes you, what stays with you most at an F1 race is the sound. Each car sounds like a jet plane taking off. Multiply that by 20 and you get…a major headache. Thank God for earplugs.

The first qualifying was a disaster for Ferrari, and the trend continued. They ended up in 12th and 14th place. Schumi finished the race 7th, Barrichello retired. The cars didn’t have the pace. A Ferrari win would have been the icing on the cake.

But the race itself is spectacular. The sight and sound of 20 cars roaring by at speeds in excess of 300 km./hr. is mind-blowing. I could see about half the race from my stand. The binoculars Dad lent me came in really handy.

I didn’t shop much – my memorabilia were the cap and the flag. I did spend a lot on chocolates and gum and mint. Bought two bottles of single malt whisky at KLIA duty-free. Will open them only after 1st April, till when I’m off alcohol (I figured it’s only right to sacrifice that little in Amma’s memory when I was still able to go on the trip).

I had company on the flight back. Tron didn’t get a seat on his Indian Airlines flight, so he transferred to AI-441. He disembarked at Chennai (as planned). Another chap was with me till Bombay.

The trip was exactly what I needed. A chance to leave behind some baggage. Mainly Sweetie. It’s strange that with all the stress at home, it’s Sweetie who bugs me the most. I think it’s because I know what has to be done at home and how to do it – but in the case of a broken relationship, I have no clue which way to go.

There were times I did think about her, but I was able to push it away. Yesterday, I spoke to Groper and Minty. And asked them (for hopefully the last time) whether I did anything wrong. They said no, that I had done everything right. And I was more than willing to adjust further, to correct any errors I may have made. That I’d shown a lot of courage. And that I deserved, and would find, someone better.

So I finally put Sweetie behind me.

I came home just in time for the final ceremonies to mark Amma’s demise. The karam pooja to purify the house, and finally the 12th day bhog. We’re still getting used to doing without her, and we will always miss her.

The trip was a boon. Tron and I became fast friends, bonded like brothers. Spent the trip taking the trip of two kids (Jai Hind-ites). I will make it a point to stay in touch with him – we’re already exchanging the pictures we took. Good guy.

Badi and Chhoti too. They don’t live too far from home. While they’re not girlfriend material, they’re good to hang out with. Maybe we’ll catch a race together.

The biggest thing was the badly-needed dose of independence I got. Travelling alone, to a strange country, with my own money, meeting new people, spending time with myself. It’s given me a boost of confidence I needed desperately.

And it was a welcome break. I haven’t really done anything for myself in the last few years. I changed that. Splurged on myself. Enjoyed myself. Didn’t think of anyone, didn’t miss anyone. Family apart, of course.

No more running after people who don’t have the time for me. Even Boxer – I’m tired of the attitude and the mixed signals. Even Legs, who’s been ditching me like crazy over the last two weeks. Let her call me for a change. I’ve had enough of it. Thanks to this vacation.

I may walk alone, but I’m not really alone. I have a few friends who love me more than I know. I have my family back. And I have Amma watching me from above.

And now I’d like to take this opportunity to re-introduce someone you haven’t met for a few years. Someone I haven’t met since Jai Hind days. Someone I’ve missed tremendously.

Me.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails