Wednesday, May 04, 2005

End Of An Era

End of an Era
5th June 2001


On the 30th of May 2001, I stepped out of my examination center for the last time. The end of my Third Year Bachelor of Science examinations heralded the end of an amazing phase of my life – and the beginning of a new one, as yet undefined.

Jai Hind College has been good to me. The person who entered that institution sometime in June 1996 was not anything like the person who is sitting and writing this article today. Shy, timid, diffident and worldly unwise, my first two years in Jai Hind College were spent in blissful hibernation.

It was after the HSC exams that my previously dormant personality began to shrug its sleepy shoulders, awakening, like the morning sun. Actually, it was more like an insect crawling out of the woodwork. Given an opportunity to showcase my talents, I never looked back.

The academic side of my nature remained in force. Backed up by my laidback, easy-going side that emerged. With a dry sense of humour that degrades with time. Gone is the shyness that has seemed to dog my footsteps since the moment I could walk.

And while I have done a lot of things in Jai Hind College, a few of my crazier antics stand out in sculpted bas-relief glory.

I won’t forget the first time I sat down in the Auditorium. The occasion was my interview for admission to the FYJC class. Mera number aa gaya. Facing Principal N. W. Shivdasani and some senior professors. Asked if I could speak the Sindhi language, I responded that I could understand it better. Then, asked to tell the board who lived in my house, I goofed and told the Principal that my sister, my grandmother and his parents lived in my house.

I have no idea why he granted me admission that day. A Sindhi student unable to express himself in his mother tongue, in a Sindhi college, deserves to be shot.

Then there were the shenanigans in Prof. Sawant’s Foundation Course lectures. Three of us stroll into the lecture 20 minutes late in t-shirts and ridiculous boxer shorts pulled up to the waist Raj Kapoor style, claiming to have arrived from badminton practice. Sat for ten minutes as the class giggled away, and then took off, ostensibly for football practice. And then there was the time the Professor looked up at me just as I caught hold of a girl’s hands to stop her from hitting me.

And then there were the antics at Malhar 2000. Participating for the first and last time, I was sent in for the Mr. Malhar event, simply because I had asked what it was all about. I remember forgetting a rap song and standing in front of Anu Malik cursing viciously. The sweet guy let me read it and continue, and I aced it. Then there was the ridiculous English quawwali. And the Hawaiian dance to rock n’ roll. For which I have been recognised all around the city. I stood second overall.

Brouhaha 2000. Where a close galpal whom I’ll call Legs and I won the Brouhaha Brace, the couple event for the Mr. and Miss Brouhaha titles. Spoofing Titanic, with a heavily censored kissing scene. Making absolute fools out of ourselves, and unexpectedly (to us) winning the title.

Jai Hind College is where my abilities as a writer have developed and come to the fore, leading to my admission into SIMC and the birth of this column. It’s where I have fallen headlong into love, for the first and, so far, the last time. I have also fallen out of love – so girls, if you are looking for a guy who is single and eligible, send me a mail.

I’m gonna miss JHC. It’s been a great alma mater, and I still wear the College t-shirt with pride. I do have a lot to look forward to, however. Life in Pune will be difficult – living in a 3 BHK duplex apartment all alone will be a challenge. And, for the first time in my life, I’ve enrolled in a course which I will truly enjoy.

And then, of course, there is the babe. I’m living alone, with three bedrooms, bathrooms and balconies and terraces. Plenty of space for us to try out new ideas.

You see, we have decided that we want to update the Kama Sutra.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails